Thursday, June 18, 2015

Pt. 3: The Paper Chase

The next part of our story would be compiling our dossier. Our dossier was ALL of the information about our lives. I'm talking every single detail. I used to joke with Kyle that somehow, someone knew what I was making for dinner, or what I was wearing that particular day.

The paperwork we needed to compile was fairly easy for us, luckily. Our biggest hiccup was finding the one paragraph in our insurance policy saying our child would be covered. It was at least 200 page stack of papers, with no table of contents. I just randomly chose a spot to start in, turned to the next page and there it was. God showed up even in the small details.

In the evenings I would come home from work, make dinner and do paperwork. We were surrounded by it, I would ask Kyle question and write down answers. We had trainings to go through, and of course the homestudy.

We had our homestudy, which went very well. Although, I totally panicked and cleaned the house as if the Queen of England was coming over, and she merely peeked in a few rooms. It was a lot of conversation, and questions.  A lot of family past, how we would handle discipline, what we see our lives looking like after our child is in our home.

Before our case worker left, she gave us some paperwork to fill out, surprise surprise. One of the sheets was about what type of child we would accept or not accept. I vividly remember sitting with Kyle outside checking yes or no to certain boxes. That sheet of paper took us the longest to through. It was HARD. I felt so guilty saying no to certain special needs.

We struggled so much because, had we conceived a child with a particular special need, we would never say, no. That would have never even gone through our minds. But, now we had to choose what we would accept. We would accept anything, but we had to talk through what would be ideal, what we thought we could handle. That was a challenge too, because God really can give the strength to do anything. However, we had to think hard about what was going to make the most sense for our family and being first time parents.

We finished our homestudy and we were approved for a healthy girl or boy and we were open to siblings. There were a lot of other forms, and fingerprints we had to go through before we were officially on the waiting list, but we were really moving. I was getting excited, I wanted to be on that wait list because it seemed like families were getting matched fairly quickly.

We officially were on the list in October, and I couldn't have been more excited. I made a countdown sheet to watch us move along in our journey.

Then the wait started....

No comments:

Post a Comment