Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Pt. 1: The Calling

Lately, I've been feeling led to really share more of my story. I believe we all have stories, and maybe some of them are similar and I find that helps so often. But, no two are the same, each one is uniquely different.

Kyle and I went to the same small high school, so we knew of each other. He was seriously the "cool kid" but not the jerky cool kid, the nice cool kid. Who was also good at everything, football, basketball, baseball, and incredibly smart. I on the other hand, let's just say I wasn't at the top of my class, and I didn't get any awards for outstanding athlete.

When Kyle was nearing the end of his Junior year, the big news going around school was that his mom and dad left for China to bring home a little girl and his mom was missing Mother's Day with her kids at home. I thought that was really cool, but sad she was missing her other kids. Because I had no real ties, there wasn't this deep feeling of emotion going on, yet.

In the fall his family would bring his sister to football games and I would notice them a lot. They actually sat really close to my parents during the games.

I guess you could say it somewhat started from there. During the next couple of years I remember talking to my grandma about adoption and what it meant in her life, because my dad was adopted. The conversations were always positive, but I hadn't yet put myself in her shoes.

Fast forward a few more years, and Kyle's family adopted again from China. This time the girls were in my small group at church. I was able to see how they interacted, their excitement, and their love. Looking back now, it was starting to stir things in my own heart, and I didn't even know.

Kyle and I had our first date, and adoption was a big topic of conversation. I said I was absolutely open to adopting and I'm sure I asked a lot of questions. Things started to get more serious in our relationship and we talked about it a lot. We had decided (funny how that works, right?) that it would be really neat to have biological children first and then adopt. (when we had saved up the money)

Fast forward to almost a year into our marriage, and I thought it was time to start trying to have a baby. When things weren't going as planned for us, and I had received some news that wasn't great, I made up my mind that day and started researching agencies.

Although, my calling wasn't in one moment, but over several years it was still my calling. I always felt a tug at my heart when James 1:27 was read "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." 

On July 21, 2011 that Calling turned into a YES.

If I didn't start researching that day, and getting information that day, it wouldn't be Zola. That calling is powerful, and I'm so thankful we said Yes together.


No comments:

Post a Comment