Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Writing my Story

In January, I was in Austin Texas at our annual Noonday Collection conference called SHINE. Our co-founder Jessica Honegger was the first speaker of the weekend, and she spoke about the story we tell ourselves. At the end she asked us, "What story do we need to stop telling ourselves? What story do we need to be telling ourselves?" This was so powerful for me, and it meant a lot for my past but also for what was coming.

Recently, I was told I didn't the leadership skills for a specific role I applied for a few years ago. In that moment I had to decide what story I was going to tell myself. I had a choice, believe the words that were just spoken to me, or decide my story was different. To make the choice that those words would determine my self worth or choose to rewrite my story, to focus on those leadership skills and prove to myself that I do indeed have them.

When I chose Children's Ministry as my major in college I worried about it a lot. I worried about finding a job because I was young and I wasn't a parent with experience. This rolled over even past graduation and into my first few jobs honestly.

Going into ministry it's easy to focus and believe that "my ministry" can only be done in the church. as I get older, I'm realizing each day that's not the entire truth. "My ministry" right now is my family and Noonday Collection. It does not have to a job in the church and that is okay.

For now, this is my story. Not words that could hurt me or tear me down. I'm choosing to surround myself with people who encourage my story and "my ministry." Just because this will be the story I'm writing and believing doesn't mean it will be an easy choice everyday. There will be days I literally have to choose what story to believe. But, isn't that the beauty? That every once awhile our stories can change and look different than the day before.

What is your story you're writing? Do you need to rewrite it, or continue the one you're believing and writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment