Sunday, April 26, 2015

Community Next Door

Last Sunday I attended my first IF Table with some amazing women. It's something I had thought about for a long time, and I'm so excited about this opportunity. One of the first questions was about what we think community looks like and what it looks like to be vulnerable. It was a great question, and there were such wise responses, I loved it.

I think one of the first things I talked about was my neighbor, someone that after 5 years I couldn't imagine not being neighbors with. Thursday night I pulled into my driveway after a Noonday trunk show and couldn't believe it. The For Sale sign was actually in their yard. It was actually happening.

God had specifically planned out the fact that 1 week before our wedding, the house we wanted to buy, fell through. We lived in an apartment for the first 6 months of our marriage (and loved it!), then found a house we loved in the middle of winter. Which if you know me, was pretty impressive in itself. While we were painting our house, Janelle came over to give us a cookies and welcome us to the neighborhood. That was where it started.

We had very different schedules, but every once in awhile we would plan dinner at each others house. We would stay up late talking, laughing, and telling the stories of triumph and tragedy. After our first year in our house we found out that Janelle and I shared very similar infertility stories. I would never wish the heartache we went through on anyone, but boy was it nice to have someone to talk to, that actually understood what was going on. We could cry together, laugh together, and dream about our families whatever they would look like (someday).

Surprisingly, we started our adoption processes around the same time. They chose a domestic adoption and it happened quickly. I got knock on our door one day, saying they were chosen. 4 days later, they were in the hospital!! They had nothing, which was kind of beautiful. Kyle and I finished painting their nursery, got a baby bath, diapers, and some other necessities (along with other amazing people in their lives). We were even invited to be at the house when they came home from the hospital.

About a year later we got our match with Zola and they were some of our biggest fans. They were also invited to the airport when we came home with Zola. The best part, about 4 months prior she told me she was pregnant. Our families were being formed right before our eyes. All the pain and tears seemed like distant memories because we had our children we had been waiting for. We watched each other go through highs and lows, surgeries, adoptions, growing families, and now our kids becoming friends.

She's the one I call when I need butter, cheese, or eggs. She calls me for the same. We know each others families. We are both moms now. Our kids come running out the door to play with each other. We take walks together. That's community.

It's hard to imagine life without them right next door. Things are moving quickly with their house, and I have already cried lots of tears. Happy tears, sad tears, and jealous tears. (Jealous of whoever their next neighbors are) I'm excited for them, and the fact that it will greatly increase their family time together. I'm still pretty selfish though, I don't want them to go. Thankfully, they are friends and not *just* neighbors.


No comments:

Post a Comment